West African gold mine signs solar power agreement

IAMGOLD Burkina Faso, signs solar power agreement

Source: miningweekly.comWest African gold mine Iamgold Essakanehas signed a 15-year power purchase agreement with renewable-energy providers in a move that will cut its diesel use and lower its carbon footprint.


EREN Renewable Energy and its partner African Energy Management Platform (AEMP) on Monday announced that the 15 MWp, $20-million solar project would be built at the mine, which is located off-grid, 330 km from Ouagadougou, the capital of Burkina Faso.

On a 22 ha site, the project will sell the electricity produced from the solar plant to Iamgold Essakane, which is owned jointly by Toronto- and New York-listed Iamgold Corporation, with 90%, and the Burkino Faso government with 10%.

Global renewable energy independent power producer EREN,  the 90% shareholder of the project company, and developer AEMP, the holder of the remaining 10%, expect to commission the solar farm by the end of 2017, reducing the mine’s fuel consumption by an expected six-million litres of diesel a year and carbon dioxide emissions by 18 500 t a year.

For mines that operate around the clock with energy budgets of 30% of operating costs, the hybridisation of diesel powerplants with a renewable-energy source reduces energy costs, betters carbon and social footprints and hedges against oil price volatility, the renewable-energy companies said in a release to Creamer Media’s Mining Weekly Online.

The gold mine produced 400 000 oz of gold in 2015.



This project is EREN’s second utility-scale project in Africaand will be one of the largest hybrid diesel solar photovoltaic projects in the world, EREN Africa business development VP Christophe Fleurence said.

It represents a breakthrough for industries relying on costly and carbon intensive diesel generation, which, until very recently, has been the only reliable source of electricity, added AEMP’s Richard Duffy.


LinkedIn Group: Renewable Energy for Mining and Oil:

If  you are interesting about these topics (Renewable Energies, Energy Storage, Electric Vehicles), please you are welcome to participate on the LinkedIn group about

 “Renewable Energy for Mining and Oil Industry”

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Comments are closed.